Mulhall's garden center in Omaha, Neb., reopened on Monday, Dec. 26, just two days after the business caught fire on Christmas Eve morning.
A passerby spotted the blaze, according to KETV news. Firefighters discovered a natural gas leak at the scene, but they were able to shut off the lines and quickly extinguish the fire. A portion of the store where Christmas decor and merchandise is located was damaged, but Mick Mulhall, general manager, told KETV he felt fortunate that the greenhouse and plants were spared. The cause has not yet been reported.
ALSO READ: From garage to garden center: Mulhall’s has grown throughout its history, and it’s now dialing in a plan to sustain sales throughout the off-season.
"I woke up to the news that our greenhouse was on fire, and I live about 15 minutes away, so driving in I thought a lot about what that could have meant," Mulhall told KETV. "As it turned out, it was a relatively small part of our store, it wasn't in our greenhouse, and no one got hurt ... it definitely could have been worse."
Mulhall's updated customers via Facebook, and posted this note Christmas Eve: "We're closed today. We've had a small fire. Everyone's safe + the plants are warm. We'll be back open on Monday at 9a! Thanks for all the support!"
The day they reopened, they shared this message with customers: "no fire can hold us down - we'll be here from 9a - 6p until spring."
Read the full story on KETV.com
Photo provided by Mulhall's for 2015 article for the Top 100 issue. Initial reports said the fire was in the greenhouse, but it was actually in the portion of the retail store with Christmas merchandise.