The National Garden Bureau has announced the four plant classes that will be featured in the 2020 “Year of the” program.
- For the bulb crop, 2020 will be the Year of the Iris.
- For annuals, 2020 will be the Year of the Lantana.
- For edibles, 2020 will be the Year of the Corn.
- For perennials, 2020 will be the Year of the Lavender.
- For flowering shrubs, 2020 will be the Year of the Hydrangea.
The "Year of the" chooses crops for the North American market that are genetically diverse, easy to grow and have new breeding to showcase.
By Nov. 1, National Garden Bureau will have photos of numerous varieties of all five crops (provided by NGB members) posted on its website. NGB also provides PDFs of fact sheets, flyers, handouts, signage, poster and PowerPoint presentations. After Nov. 1, all of the above can be downloaded at no charge from the NGB website. These tools will help the North American home garden industry promote the crops to consumers and encourage gardening with these specific crop classes.
For more information, please visit www.ngb.org.